Cook with fantasy combining ingredients and cook rice alternatively- the result will surprise you!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 2 sliced onions
• 2 cups of water
• pilaf rice ( long grain )
• 2 cups of cooked lentils (from yesterday’s table )
• Salt /Pepper
• Yogurt with mint for serving
Rinse the rice under running water. Allow to soak for 20 minutes in a bowl with water enough to cover the rice.
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions in medium heat for 10 minutes, until browned. Remove half the onions and save for later.
Add water to the pan with the remaining onions. Drain the rice and add it to the pan. Add salt and pepper and let it boil. Boil it in low heat half covered with the lid for 10 minutes.
Add the lentils and stir., Let it boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until all the liquids are absorbed. Do not stir. Serve the pilaf in dishes and share the remaining onions in each serving. Serve cold or warm. Personally, I love it with yoghurt and chopped fresh mint.
Extra tips for success:
1) Always caramelize the onions over low heat for longest time possible. This way they shed their sugars and they become sweet
2) soak the rice to swell and eliminate starch