Preparation time: 45 minutes
Baking time: 50 minutes
• 5 eggplant
• 4 zucchini
• 4 large potatoes
• Olive oil for frying
For minced meat
• 700 g. minced beef meat
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 2 dust. garlic
• 800 g. chopped tomatoes
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1/3 cup of cognac
• 1 pinch of sugar
• freshly ground pepper
For easy bechamel
• 1½ liter of milk at room temperature
• 6 tablespoons full corn flour
• 2 full tbsp butter
• 2 eggs
• 2-3 pinches of freshly ground nutmeg
• 1 cup of kefalotyri (hard/salty cheese)
FOR MINCED MEAT SAUCE
1. Brown the meat in olive oil over high heat and after it changes color, add the onion and garlic. Leave for a few minutes for the onion to soften and add the brandy. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, add the tomatoes, sugar and herbs and let the meat to absorb the aromas for 5-10 minutes depending on how intense aroma you want to give.
2. Remove the herbs (cinammon etc) add salt and pepper and simmer the meat for 20 minutes, so it absorbs the liquids. Once the minced meat is cooked, add a ladle of béchamel and mix.
3. Once the minced meat is done, prepare the vegetables. The vegetables can all be baked for a lighter version. Traditionally are fried to soften and let them drain well. Cut the eggplant, zucchini and potatoes into slices 1 cm thick.
4. dish eggplant and zucchini on plate, add salt and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake at 200ºC, in a well preheated oven for 10′-15 minutes in order to become a bit soft. Fry the potatoes in oil to soften and drain on absorbent paper.
FOR EASY BECHAMEL
5. Put in saucepan all ingredients, except eggs and cheese. Stir with wire, bring to boil the cream and to thickens over medium heat. Once thickened slightly, remove from heat and add two beaten eggs and with rapid movements mix in the cream. Finally, add half of the cheese. Mix. Check seasoning and nutmeg if you need extra. Pour a ladle of sauce to minced meat.
6. In a large, deep pan make a layer the potatoes. On top put a layer of zucchini. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan. We make a layer of half the eggplant. Pour in a layer all of the meat. Cover the meat with the remaining eggplant and cover with the easy bechamel sauce.
7. Bake at 180-200ºC at resistors, for 50 minutes or so.
Towards the end of cooking, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Allow the surface to brown. Remove the first piece of moussaka and in its place put a chunk of bread to suck excess liquids and oils.